Saturday, March 31, 2012

LATKES!

Hey, so I know it has been a while, but here we go. This morning I made potato and zucchini latkes with coconut hot coco, oh and bacon! As you all know I really do advocate eating locally and seasonally. But.. you also know that I love zucchini. So though it is not in season (cause its not August) I couldn't help myself.  Same with the potatoes.  I am trying to upload some photos cause I hear that's what all the kids are doing these days.... I am technologically impaired so we shall see how this goes. Latkes are similar to the croquettes, but the veg is shredded and raw.  So this recipe is definitely kid tested and hubby approved.

LATKES
  • 1 large potato
  • 2 zucchini
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 spring onions
  • 1/4c cream
  • 1c flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1tsp pepper
Ok, so shred one large potato and two zucchini, squeeze the excess liquid out of it, you can leave a little, but I prefer to have it rinsed and drained so I can control the amount of liquid.  Combine all the ingredients.   You can have it be more "battery" or more "potato-y" depending on preference.  (see pic)  IE-add more flour and don't rinse and drain the potatoes. Or rinse and drain the potatoes and add just enough flour to combine. Get a pan nice and hot with your oil of choice ( no butter, it burns) and put approx 1/4 of the batter to pan and cook for about 3min on each side til golden brown. (see pic). So I am not gonna tell you all how to make bacon, but I will FYI the coco.

Coconut Coco
  • one can coconut milk
  • one can regular milk (or whatever you like) I used the can to measure
  • 3T coco powder
  • 1tsp cinnamon
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 3T unrefined cane sugar (or whatever you like)
heat the milk til it starts to bubble on the edges, then remove from heat, and whisk in the remaining ingredients and enjoy!



1 comment: