Saturday, September 27, 2014

TAFFY! 
(aka my own private hell on a Saturday afternoon)

I vividly remember my mom telling me the story of how she made taffy with her mom and her friends when she was a kid. She told me how excited she was to make taffy, and how hard, and tiring it was, to the point that she NEVER asked to make it ever again. I also remember thinking, "well it will be different when I make it..." It was not different.  I was super excited, I got the kids excited, I thought, well if anyone could be into it, MY kids will be into it... right? no. The making of the taffy base is very easy. The rest sucks. First its really, really sticky. I know its sounds obvious, but when you read other blogs, or watch YOUTUBE videos, it never looks sticky or sounds sticky. Plus you think, oh well I just put butter on my hands like the recipes tells me, and I will be fine right? no. It was sticky level RIDICULOUS!  See this picture below? LIES !!! This is not how it will turn out. See the bottom two pictures? fact!




When you first start to pull, it pulls pretty fast.. so within minutes I got some on my kitchen counter, my daughter got it on the stove, it was everywhere! oi. Once we got the hang of pulling, we were sore, our arms hurt, our fingers hurt, and we were totally over it. This was only 10-15 min into the pulling... we had sooooo much more to go. oi. My daughter had the very bright idea to put it into the fridge to harden up a bit, this really helped!! More than anything else we did just cooling the stuff down made the whole project do-able.  Once it was cooled down, we could pull it until it became hard to pull. but then it would warm up in our hands again, so all afternoon we would pull for a few min, then put it in the fridge again. The whole process took 4 hours! 4 hours people!!! For 1 lb of taffy. damn! The other main point would be that you cant just add butter once to your hands, you have to continue to apply, but as you do this, the taffy wont stick to itself, and wont pull. So the fridge becomes vital!, And wash your hands often, cold hand really help too. All in all, I cant say enough horrible thing about this project, it sucks, go buy a pound at the store for $12. Yes, in the end, the taffy is really good, but we all agreed we will never do this again, and so the story will continue, from my mother, to my kids, taffy sucks. (we had to make toffee again to make ourselves feel better)
PS- if after this compelling story has not moved you to avoid taffy making at all cost, then feel free to try it, I did like the recipe we used. here is the link


Big thank you to SKIP TO MY LOVE for the recipe. you are a better woman than I. I bow to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment