Saturday, January 21, 2012

Like a bunny

I am currently learning to perfect the art of the quick step. I am working on being able to shower in the time it takes my 10 mo old to walk from the living room, into my bedroom, and find me in the shower. (and its a small house so its ~ 2min) Can I make a meal before she totally melts down? I am getting better, but I have had quite a few fails. The secrete to my success has been ROASTING! Which basically means I throw a bunch of veg in the oven covered in olive oil, and salt& pepper, and call it good. While the veg cooks, I can play with Kiki, and 40 min later she is pretty happy, and is less apt to notice if I leave her to finish cooking. Its brilliant! We eat seasonally, so right now we are loving our root veggies. I like to roast Turnips, Parsnips, and onions, or leeks, and combine them with some potatoes I have boiled. I mash up the whole lot, then make them into VEGGIE CROQUETTES!

~VEGGIE CROQUETTES~ 
-2-3 carrots
-3-4 small parsnips, or 2-3 large ones
-3-4 Turnips
-1 small onion or a leek
-4 good size potatoes
-3-4 good size garlic cloves
-bout 3/4C flour (garbanzo flour is good, or whole wheat flour, or even unbleached all purpose)
-1 egg
-salt and pepper to taste
* I have been known to add cauliflower, instead of carrots, depending on what I have on hand.

Roast all the veg (put the veg on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and salt and pepper, make sure its all covered) except the potatoes in the oven at 400 degrees for ~40 min.  until tender.   At the same time boil the potatoes in a pot of water until tender. Drain potatoes, add the rest of the veg, and mash! (pay close attention to the garlic, make sure it incorporates, as good as roasted garlic is, you don't want a bite of just that.) Once mashed (I leave it a lil lumpy I like to taste the different veggies) add the flour, egg, and season to taste. They mixture should not be runny, so if it is, add a lil more flour. Take a large spoonful and form a patty, and place in pan with some coconut oil (or grapeseed) at med-high heat. Brown for ~ 2min on each side. I serve them with a Greek yogurt and dill sauce. (1C +or- plain Greek yogurt, tsp dill, dash of salt, 1 clove finely diced garlic, and half a diced cucumber or a half a shredded zucchini-you know how I like to sneak zucchini into everything.)
These are great as appetizers, or a side dish with a salad, and a protein.
* this is also a great way to use up extra veg after use make pot roast. Same idea, and the veg is already done, no extra roasting involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment